Come Join the Fun!
The DuVal Family Association
is dedicated to the descendants of Daniel DuVal who arrived on the York River of Virginia, aboard the
Nassau, in 1701. We meet every two years in a fun location.
Some of the material below is taken from "The DuVals of Kentucky from Virginia and Allied Families"
by Margaret Gwinn Buchanan published in 1938. This book deals mainly with the descendants of
Daniel DuVal's fourth son, Samuel DuVal. Another publication, "The DuVals of Virginia" by Bessie
Berry Grabowski published in 1931 deals with all four sons and "Civilizers - The DuVals of Texas" by
Roy L. Swift which also deals with the descendants of Samuel DuVal. Additional material is from the history
of Ware Parish Church.
Daniel DuVal came to Gloucester County, VA, March 5, 1701 on the ship "Nassau", Captain Tragian
commanding, having sailed from Blackwall in London on December 8, 1700. He seems to have settled
in Ware Parish, and there still is standing the beautiful old church of Ware Parish, established
In the first days of this parish, almost 350 years ago, people gathered not here, but on Ware Neck.
In 1680, while The Rev'd James Clack was Rector, the Colonial Court and Council in Williamsburg granted
permission to construct a new church on the higher ground of the present site.
The building was completed between 1690 and 1713. The early church records recording such information were
lost during the War Between the States in the burning of Richmond.
The solid brick rectangular building, laid in Flemish bond, was built by local craftsmen and
artisans from England. It is the only rectangular colonial church in Virginia with both North and South doors.
The classic pediment doors are the earliest of their kind. The walls of the church are three feet thick
and the foundations five feet thick. The whole structure is imposing yet elegant in its simplicity.
Its architecture is based on the use of squares, golden rectangles, a pyramid triangle and a circle.
No doubt that the loyal Protestant Daniel DuVal was a member of this church.
Too much reverence on the part of us who are his descendents cannot be paid to the memory of this
Huguenot gentleman, an honored Chevalier de France, a title equivalent to the present one of Knight in England.
The earliest of the name that can be traced in Normandy France is one Richard DuVal, 1260, Sieur de France,
a title of respect. The spelling of the name as used by the sons and grandsons of Daniel DuVal is with a capital
V and only one L.
There was an emigrant from Alsace-Lorraine by the name of Mareen Duvall who settled in Maryland, but no
proof of any relationship between the two families has ever been established, although many
descendents of both have sometimes thought they were of the same origin. Mareen Duvall, from brewsters or
winesters in Alsace-Lorraine came to Maryland in 1659, and is the progenitor of the Maryland Duvals but no
kin whatever to the Virginia Huguenot, Daniel DuVal from Normandy. Daniel DuVal and Philadelphia DuBois had
four sons and one daughter, viz:
1. William DuVal of Gloucester Co., VA, Petsworth Parrish d. 1784
2. Daniel DuVal II, Caroline Co., VA d. 1777
3. Benjamin, first Caroline Co., VA then Henrico Co., VA d 1770
4. Samuel DuVal b. 1714, lived in King William Co.
then in Henrico Co., VA d. 1784 at "Mt.Comfort", his
plantation home in of over 400 acres, now a part
of Chestnut Hill and Highland Park in the present
city of Richmond, Henrico Co., VA
5. Mary DuVal b. in Gloucester Co., VA m. Mr. Amos in Surrey Co., VA
Daniel DuVal soon became established as an architect and joiner in which prolific profession his son
Samuel seemed to have joined him. The Huguenots, no matter how noble their blood in France,
were not afraid to work. Their industry and energy soon gave them high rank in their adopted lands.
They were good investors, good business men and had a rare foresight. In the early history of Kentucky,
real estate developments, no less than 100,000 acres of land, passed through their hands either as exchange
investments or homesteads. This we learn from recorded statistics on file in the office of the Clerk of the
Civil Court of Appeals in Frankfort, KY and listed in a wonderful way in the book "Old Kentucky Land Grants.
and Entries and Deeds," by Jillson. These have been copied and are now in the possession of the writer, and
but for space and cost, they would be included in these records.